Monday, June 22, 2009

Our Father

As my family drove down the road the other day, my son said a very hurtful thing to me and my wife. He said, “I wish I lived with Nana and Papa instead.” Now, we understand that he was only saying this because he wanted to play a particular videogame at their house, and didn’t realize that his statement would hurt our feelings, but still stung a little. After all, we go out of our way everyday to make sure that not only are his needs met, but that he has many of the things he wants as well. I had to explain to him that by saying that he would rather have that videogame, than live with us, that he was saying that the videogame was more important than us. He quickly changed his tune.

How many times have I said “this is more important” to YHWH through my own actions?! How many times have I skipped prayer time to watch TV, read or even play videogames?! I’m guilty of the same thing that my son is! I am even worse, because I know better. I know first hand the honor and blessing that spending time in prayer is. I know that my relationship with Him is primary, and affects every other relationship in my life, and yet I still fall prey to my own self-centeredness. I thank God that He is infinitely more patient and gentle in His care and instruction for His children, than we are for ours.

1 comment:

Deano said...

Good stuff - as always!